Today, Rinat Akhmetov Foundation, together with DTEK, handed over 6 modern lung ventilators to the doctors of the Lviv region. The presentation took place on the basis of the Lviv Regional Phthisiopulmonological Clinical Diagnostic and Treatment Center.
Doctors received equipment from the Foundation under the project “Combating COVID-19 in Ukraine”, which became part of the large program “Rinat Akhmetov – Saving Lives”.
– I am amazed at the heroism of everyone at the local level, all united for the same purpose. The round-the-clock work of local authorities, the work of all services deserve great respect. And, of course, the heroism of doctors is amazing. They risk their lives to save people,” said Rinat Akhmetov.
Rinat Akhmetov Foundation has acquired and transfers in tranches more than 200 ultra-modern lung ventilators to Ukrainian doctors. As part of the current tranche, the Foundation delivered 32 lung ventilators, and this is the largest batch that crossed the Ukrainian border since the beginning of quarantine. These devices will be handed over to state hospitals in the regions by the end of June.
In total, Rinat Akhmetov transferred UAH 300 million to save the lives of Ukrainians from coronavirus, the lion’s share of this amount, in agreement with the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, is directed specifically to the purchase of lung ventilators.
– Modern lung ventilators around the world are necessary equipment to save the lives of patients with complications from coronavirus. Our country is no exception. In Ukraine, unfortunately, there were not so many of these devices before the pandemic. According to the Ministry of Health, the deficit of lung ventilators for supporting hospitals was a little more than 200 pieces. Rinat Akhmetov Foundation will transfer almost a comparable number of devices to state hospitals in different regions of the country. It turned out that it is difficult to purchase them because of global competition. Moreover, delivery is much more difficult. Ten and more buyers claimed for one device, and at the level of the governments of other countries. For now, we have delivered to Ukraine a little more than 30 devices, and this is the largest batch of lung ventilators delivered to Ukraine from the beginning of quarantine. We know from doctors how health workers are waiting for these devices, especially now, when the country leaves quarantine and statistics of confirmed cases is growing,” said Natalya Yemchenko, member of the Supervisory Board of Rinat Akhmetov Foundation.
Rinat Akhmetov Foundation decided to purchase highly automated, mobile, portable ventilators. First, so that doctors as quickly and efficiently as possible start working on them. Secondly, so that the influence of the human factor is minimized while saving the lives of patients.
Maksim Kozitskyi, the Chairman of the Lviv Regional State Administration thanked the Fund and the Founder for this contribution to the fight against the epidemic.
– The situation with coronavirus is rather complicated. Every day we record new cases, today it was 49. We occupy one of the first places in Ukraine, unfortunately. Today is a big event – we get six lung ventilators. Many thanks! – said Maksim Kozitskyi.
Bogdan Gagalyuk, Deputy Chairman of the Lviv Regional Council noted the importance of supporters’ help for the region:
– We are glad that Ukrainian patrons support the Lviv region in the fight against coronavirus. Today’s event is another confirmation of this. Thank you!
Lyubomir Rak, the chief physician of the Lviv Regional Phthisiopulmonological Clinical Diagnostic and Treatment Center, noted that more than 300 people with severe complications from coronavirus have been admitted by the medical institution headed by him since the epidemic began. Only lung ventilators can save the lives of such patients.
– This equipment will help to minimize losses – said Lyubomir Rak.
Oleg Tarashchuk, DTEK “Zakhidenergo” General Director noted how important it was to combine the efforts of society, business and government and thanked the doctors for their courage, bravery, stamina, professionalism and dedication in the fight against coronavirus. He handed over gifts from the Foundation to the intensive care unit doctors working with COVID-19: certificates for receiving a set of medical work clothes. By QR-code, doctors will be able to select the necessary sizes of the kit, which will be sewn by special order.
In addition, on behalf of the Fund, Oleg Tarashchuk handed over certificates to anesthetists about participating in training of work features with the most advanced models of ventilators, which Rinat Akhmetov Foundation conducted jointly with the Ministry of Health and the Association of Anesthetists of Ukraine.
A three-hour webinar, during which leading experts from the Ministry of Health, shared with the doctors of state medical institutions the best international experience in treating COVID-19 and the nuances of working with the latest models of lung ventilators, took place at the end of May. More than 800 doctors took part in online training from the Rinat Akhmetov Foundation.